Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Deviating From the Prompt Today--Heritage Demands It!!

From http://www.napowrimo.net/ : And now our (totally optional) prompt. I’m a sucker for a good mystery novel, especially the hard-boiled noir novels of the thirties and forties. There’s always a two-timing blonde, a city that keeps its secrets, and stuck in the middle, a man who just can’t help but rabbit after truth. Today I challenge you write a poem inspired by noir — it could be in the voice of a detective, or unravel a mystery, or just describe the long shadows of the skyscrapers in the ever-swirling smog.
~

I'll unravel a mystery alright! Here's some more content for the Appalachian Heritage series I've been posting. The only mystery to me is why we still allow our home to be ransacked by corporate figure-heads. Perhaps we don't realize what is right before our eyes. I intend to elucidate the truth, and really all I have to do is show our area for what it is. Be patient. Breathe. Slow down. Don't rush thru Life--you might miss something positively life-changing!

Heritage
Appreciate the emerald flow.
Next time you think about power,
remember that the river does not stop.

You sleep.
You nap.
You complain about waking-up for work,
about not having sex often enough,
or not having food in your belly--
at least you did eat today.

On the other hand,
the river never utters a word
of regret, or lamentation.

It rages thru the
limestone canyon
displaying its beauty and power
for all eyes to witness.

The true Appalachian mountaineer
is more than thrilled
to sit on a stone, or a log--
burn a bowl, and 
watch the river roll.

Life truly can be this simple.
It is what you make of it.
I know we have valuable tech-tools to use,
but we can't get sucked-in.

Remembering our roots
will bring happiness
once we realize, frankly,
we have too much shit we don't need.

It is partly a story of greed.
Accumulating things.
Attempting to quench that deep thirst
in the hollow.

I can tell you, friend, 
what will fulfill you.
At least in a roundabout way--
It starts w/ Family.

Now,
listen carefully...
The gnawing will end
when you succeed in
pursuing your Dreams.

For me, it is writing.
There's no amount of money,
or advanced gadgetry
that could make me happy
if I'm not writing.

I encourage exploration--
Discover what thrills you!

 Maybe it is 
building a boat.
Maybe it is
building a sandcastle--

Pursue it!

Don't listen to anybody
who tells you it is stupid.

You have one chance to 
authenticate your life.
Do it right, and
don't listen to them.

Appalachian Heritage 
springs from a people
who were bold enough
to blaze their own trail.

Sure there are obstacles
along the way.
But nothing can overcome
a full heart
& willful Mind.

--Written live, river-side


I plant my heart in Mtn. soil--
rich fruit blooms.

I loosen my Mind
to the river-tide--
smooth thoughts flow--

No comments:

Post a Comment