Friday, April 12, 2013

The Surprise Ending

From http://www.napowrimo.net/ 4/11/13 : And now, our prompt! Today I challenge you to write a tanka. This, like the “American” cinquain, is a poem based on syllables, with the pattern being 5-7-5-7-7. They work best when those final two 7-syllable lines contain a sort of turn or surprise that the first three lines might not wholly anticipate. You can string a bunch of them together to make a multi-stanza poem, or just write one!
~
Surprise Ending
I've been whisky's fool,
loosened out unto wild Night,
lost in drunken flight.
I found the love of my life--
My excess became refined.

I finally found

This vital swoon--deeper than drink--
to replenish me.
I thought I'd die on sand-banks,
in the arms of moon-washed trees...
~

Stone parameters are tough on poetry...


No comments:

Post a Comment